Tuesday 10 January 2012

Books. (Pt. 2)

     A few days ago I blogged about books, but didn't really get into the topic so today I'm revisiting it.


     I love books.  LOVE them.  I also love reading.  Not surprising from an English teacher, I know.    But I must confess, I don't read nearly as often as I would like.  If left to my own devices, I would lie on the couch (or in the backyard if the weather obliged) reading book after book, day after day.  I can honestly say I have never gotten bored of reading.  When I was younger, I would go to the library once a week and get as many books as I was allowed.  I was so excited to 'graduate' from the children's section to the adult section, because then there was no limitation on the number of books I could take out at any given time (the children's library, for practical reasons, I'm sure, limited patrons to 15 books at once).
     When I started school I was so excited to get my first reader, that I read it all at home before we even cracked its spine in the classroom.  Novel distribution classes were some of my favourite times at school - a whole fresh book that I could read and call it homework!  Another favourite school momoent was being the first class to get to use a set of textbooks - fresh pages, unbent corners, no scribbles - what a treat!


     I would like to differentiate here between loving reading and loving books.  This is an interesting discussion in the age of e-readers.  Some will say, "What's the difference?  You're still reading.".  But the difference is the lack of book.  You can't SMELL an e-reader. (My Mom likes to tell stories about my childhood self choosing library books based on their smell!  True story.  And between you and me, I still smell my library books.  I know I'm weird.  I'm okay with it.) You can't appreciate the feel of the pages.  Reading is a sensory experience for me because although I love reading, I LOVE books.  Just being surrounded by them makes me feel cozy and good.  I have many books that I purchased years ago that I've yet to read, and their promise excites me just as much as reading them is sure to.

2 comments:

  1. I love love love my ereader! I can read my books knowing someone hasnt borrowed them from their library...picked their nose and smeared it on the pages. I cant stand having to read a library book! I belong to the library book club and I always try to download the book before accepting a hard copy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a fairly big fan of books and reading (although you are definitely a bigger one) I wholeheartedly agree. e-Readers are not replacement for books. I don't care if they're compact, glare-free, etc. now; they are not -- and will never be -- books. I guess it's good that my mother has a used book store AND is a book hoarder. I can always go visit her and be surrounded...

    ReplyDelete